Friday, November 16, 2007

The Democratic Debate

I watched the Debate last night on CNN, Thanx Mom for reminding me. I am a little confused. I am a political beginner, I mean I have always voted but never really had great conviction one way or the other. I know I am the lone Democrat in the group, or at least I think I am, and I am not really sure why I am except for they appear to be more humane and less corrupt.

I was listening intently about what they all had to say about the rising cost of oil, because that does affect me personally in a huge way, and I was really annoyed when several of the candidates said it was because of the threat of going to war in Iran, there is a $30.00 per barrel risk charge or something. I really wish I would have stayed in school and learned about economics, but for some reason this was very believable to me, leaving me more convinced than ever that I am for a change in the government.

Today I drove to Ely and was listening to the Talk Radio shows of both Rush & Shaun Hannity, as I like to hear both sides and we all know they are very Republican. They claim that the fault of the oil prices is the Democrats because they wont let us get the oil that we have, apparently plentifully supplied in our own country because of global warning concerns. So now I was annoyed at the Democrats.

Finally my point. How are we supposed to discern who is lying to us? I am not a scholar, but consider myself of average intelligence, and frankly am a little afraid of how people actually decide who they are going to vote for. I'm pretty sure they all lye, just to get our votes and I am inclined to vote at this point for whomever is the least "connected" in Washington or Corporate America. But then there is that pesky keeping America Safe issue where I would want the most experienced to take the helm.

I think most of our family isn't really political, but if you have thoughts I would love to hear them.

4 comments:

Betty Brackett said...

I was raised thinking the Democratic party was best...Mom was very patriotic, and fervent about voting. That being said, it's a very different party today than it was then. Gone are the John Kennedys. Today it's all about entitlement programs, with the government providing services from cradle to grave, at our expense, of course.I believe that individuals should take care of themselves and not rely on the Nanny State.

The debate was pretty hilarious. Sadly, the only one of them I can stand is Joe Biden..I am very much a Republican at this point, with Libertarian leanings..

I'm so glad you've opened this topic.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I wish that I could say that I knew enough to post a thought about any of it.I will say that I am very nervous about this upcoming election because no one is standing out to me as having the leadership qualities that I have been taught as a necessity for a presidental position. I am very scared for our country.

Betty Brackett said...

Since you've heard most of my thoughts on the subject, I won't put any more of them in print. :) Sure would be nice if a few other people weighed in though....

Linda (Mom, Gramma, Aunt) said...

Yes, I don't think it is a very popular subject, Maybe everyone is as confused as I am :)